p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Mission More Than Accomplished

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mission More Than Accomplished

I don't know how I did it. Getting so much stick at work, barely running the final 2 weeks. Clocking mileages of less than 50K on most weeks of my 3 month program.. There was so much that points to a bad race but happily it didn't turn out that way - not at all. That all made the 4:26.16 all the more sweeter. Every minute since I crossed the finish line were moments to savour.


I didn't have a particular game plan - just run at a tortoise pace to survive. As it turned out this was a race I didn't walk! How did that happen? Since I was physically undertrained, I had to rely on the grey matter. And now I know what the seasoned marathoners meant when they said "Run the last 10 with your mind". To be sure the temptation to walk kept surfacing and I fought it as much as I fought the distance. This year's mantras were "Pain is temporary" and "Baby steps". That got me through the miles and Mahamehru hills. By reducing the pace, I was able to reduce the effects of bonking after the 35K mark. I shuffled and looked like a dying man, but still I didn't walk. The legs which tightened up like mad and I did have to get the ointment applied twice to the affected areas. The muscle twitches were funny. It struck at one spot then moved to another - like it was stalking me.

Many of my friends also ran good times and it was fantastic. Everyone was improving. I was pleased to see Rohaizad, whom I think wisely skipped the race to recover, taking photos near the finishing. You'll be back! Thanks also to Tey who let me sample the energy and plum drinks just before the 40K mark. Also for arranging an inspiring meeting with Hajime-san on Saturday.


Hmmmmm...maybe the marathon is a mind thing. The picture is beginning to get clearer. Still, how did those sub 4:15 guys and gals do it? They're really amazing! I haven't uploaded all the photos yet so these are mostly from Tey and Rohaizad's cameras. Full report will be sometime next week.

Official Results
Placing: 136
Guntime Chip 10K Halfway 30K
4:27:25 4:26:16 1:00:42 2:10:20 3:07:01

Self Timing
5K
31:23 > 31:23
10K
29:18 > 1:00.42
15K
33:30 > 1:34.12
20K
29:58.27 > 2:04.10
25K
29:59 > 2:34.10
30K
32:49 > 3:07.00
35K
35:05 > 3:42.05
40K
32:18 > 4:14.24
41K
5:17 > 4:19.42
42.2K
6:33 > 4:26.16

6 Comments:

  • Jamie:

    Well done !

    Sure u can do like Kenny Choo next time or one day in future soon.Kenny 4:02..cinya salute !!

    By Blogger Keipo, at 5:08 PM  

  • Superb effort. Every time, you run you learn something new for your next marathon.

    By Blogger krunner, at 7:57 PM  

  • carboman: great stuff. finishing a marathon is always a BIG achievement. timing is secondary. there is always the next race to improve on it. takes a lot of guts to run a 42km race. time to give ur body a rest b4 pounding the road again, u never get enuf.

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 8:16 PM  

  • Jamie!

    Congratulations on your PR again, man!!!! It was nice to see you on the field today...

    See you soon, and others, can trade stories after that!

    By Blogger Julian, at 2:56 AM  

  • hi carboman! Congrats on your finishing..Marathon has always been tough but the most important is..you must enjoy it!

    By Blogger Boon Haw, at 9:14 AM  

  • gayalah du...just curious..tak sesat jalan ke with dat sun glasses at 5a.m in d morning?....ahahahaha!!!!

    By Blogger lifemou, at 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home