p pol The Adventures of Carboman: October Runner's World

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

October Runner's World

The October issue of Runner's World sees a return to relevancy. Having been a reader since the '80s, though I rarely buy them since the late nineties to present day, I saw their articles gradually lose direction. They used to be very focused on training - case in point Owen Andersen's articles - and ground breaking research news as well as providing accurate shoe reviews. I particularly relished their in depth reporting of the major athletics events including the World Champs, Boston and New York marathons and of course the Olympics. Many of the race reports were unbelievably thrilling read. Indeed my own race reports were mainly inspired by the editors' writings.

Over the years, perhaps due to changing of the times, the mag has given in to the pressure of advertisements. George Sheehan had passed on, Owen Andersen left for their competitor Running Times and I miss the hilarious Finish Line writings by contributors. There are loads and loads of ads now, many of which are not even related to the sport. I felt that many articles were also recycled material. Granted, the former is a necessity given the need to cater to new readers but for a long time reader like me, my interest dwindled.

So it was with surprise and delight that the current October issue sees a return to form. Nearly all of the articles are what I need at this juncture of my training - high mileage survival, dealing with back pain, a digression by Amby Burfoot on the oft spoken issue on hyponatremia and eating plans. The bonus feature is on Deena Kastor. Aron Ralston who famously severed his right arm with a knife (caught under a boulder while on a mountaineering trip) is featured in the "I'm a Runner" section.

2 more days to the weekend.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home