p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Special Posting: Phedippidations Boston Marathon Email Alert List: Race Day Message!

Monday, April 16, 2007

Special Posting: Phedippidations Boston Marathon Email Alert List: Race Day Message!

I'm taking a slight detour from regular posting today to lend support to my fellow midpacker runner and friend, Steve Runner who will be doing the 111th Boston Marathon in a few hours. Steve, a New Englander, who is the voice behind the popular Phedippidations Running Podcasts, has trained really hard for the last 4 months and will be aiming to improve his course record and marathon PR. If like me you've subscribed to his progress alerts as he passes the checkpoints, you'll be able to know whether he is on course for his goals. He will also be shooting some photos along the way. I fully appreciate what he's doing, as for folks like me, this is the best option of experiencing Boston, short of running the course. Below were Steve's message before setting out for the start at Hopkinton. Go get them Steve!

-----Original message-----
From: "Steve Runner"
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 05:59:55 +0800
To: fdipmarathonalert@googlegroups.com
Subject: Phedippidations Boston Marathon Email Alert List: Race Day Message!

Greetings Fellow Runners!

Thank you so much for signing up for this whole "Marathon Notification List" thing.it means a lot to me that you'd have any interest in this middle age, middle of the pack, slightly asthmatic runners progress as I run the 111th Boston Marathon.  I'll be thinking of you and all your good wishes as I'm out there running this thing.

I'll try to keep the "email chatter" down.aside from this message, any message that you (or anyone else) posts to the group, and the "alerts" that you'll receive on Patriots Day  Monday).the only other message I'll send out will come to you a day or so after I set a personal course record when I cross the finish line on Boylston Street!

I've just uploaded a special "Intervals" edition of Phedippidations.  For those of you who aren't familiar with my goofy little podcast.these "Intervals" episodes are short format versions of the show.usually comprised of thoughts, opinions, observations or rambling diatribes which wouldn't fit into a regular episode of the regularly scheduled "Fdip".

Intervals episode 92B is a special "shout-out" of thanks to all of you who have been so thoughtful, kind and supportive in helping me on this marathon run.

I wish you could all run this thing with me, but in lieu of that.here are some things to watch and listen for as we share the experience of running the Boston Marathon:

1.      I've set the "Delivery Type" for all messages on the "Fdip Marathon Alert Google Group" to "email".  This means that the new default for most of you, is to receive a message every time I cross one of the chip detection mats along the course.  You will also be able to send messages to each other as I'm running the race, through the email address:
fdipmarathonalert@googlegroups.com.  Note that if you are bothered by receiving these messages in real time, you can log into fdipmarathonalert@googlegroups.com and change your "Delivery Type" to "No Email", "Abridged Email" or "Digest Email".  Refer to the help links for an explanation of what these mean.

2.      If you want to see where I am on the course, without waiting for an "Alert Update", you can go to
www.bostonmarathon.com and enter in my bib number, which is: 23627.  This will show you exactly where I am as I'm running the race, whenever you want, throughout the day. 

3.      I've made some predictions as to where I'll be as I'm running the race.  I expect to cross the starting line at 10:38 AM, but that's heavily dependent on how quickly I can line up in the corrals.  If you see that I've started the run sooner or later, you'll have to make the correction in my estimated times accordingly.  You'll know I'm doing well if I get to the "Goofy Little Speedbump" at mile 18 at around 1:35 PM.

4.      I have posted a photo of the Tee-Shirt I'll be wearing as I run, on
www.steverunner.com

5.      I'll be taking pictures with my cell phone and posting them to my Flickr account; a link is available at
www.steverunner.com  or go directly to http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverunner.  I'll probably not be taking a lot of pictures as I'm running, but I'll definitely take plenty before and after the race!

6.      I'll send some updates to my "Twitter" account.  You'll be able to read my "Tweets" (comments) in the little red box at
www.steverunner.com

7.      Today (Sunday) you may receive a few "Test" notifications from the BAA.  These will be final "run through" tests of the system so that I can ensure the thing is working before I go to bed tonight.

If you've not heard, the weather on race day isn't going to be all that spectacular.   We're due for a fairly strong "Nor'easter".  This is a fairly intense storm which will form off the coast of the North Eastern New England, whipping up gales force winds from the south east, right into my face as I'm running towards Boston.

Wind speed is supposed to be around 10 to 20 miles per hour sustained, with gusts over 40 miles per hour, and the rain is likely to be severe.but, it will sure make for an interesting podcast!  I'll have episode #93 "The 111th Boston Marathon" out by next weekend.  Keep an eye on
www.run.podshow.com or www.steverunner.com for more details.

No matter what the weather is, I'm confident and excited to be running this race, and I'm eager to prove myself on the course.

That's about it.

Thanks again for all your support, kind words, good wishes, PodCast Alley votes, iTunes reviews and friendship.

REMEMBER: If anyone asks you, you can tell them that you have a friend who is running in the 111th Boston Marathon. I'll meet you on the other side of Boylston Street.until then: I'm Steve Runner, reminding you to run long..and taper.

Steve #23637 Runner


Currently : Steve "4h:23m:06s" Runner  (hoping that this is the last time anyone will ever see this in my email signature!)

THANK YOU for your PodCast Alley Vote:
http://www.podcastalley.com/one_vote2.php?pod_id=5693

 <http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phedippidations> Phedippidations

Phedippidations: The weekly PodCast for runners at www.run.podshow.com and
www.steverunner.com

PodCasting from the 111th Boston Marathon: http://steverunner.com/PodCasts/FdipBosMarathon07.mp3

Watch me run:  http://groups.google.com/group/fdipmarathonalert

Join us for the: www.WorldWideHalf.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home