p pol The Adventures of Carboman: 30K At 4am??

Thursday, October 28, 2004

30K At 4am??

I'm contemplating the unthinkable. The situation's like this. With only 5 weeks to D-Day, I have realistically only 2 opportunities (to push it really hard, 3 opportunities) to do my 30s and above.

So for the next 3 weekends, I'll have to churn out the miles. This week's workouts have been great and I'm on course to hit the 65K mark. My program for the remaining part of the week is as follows:

Today (Thu): 10.4K
Fri: 6.5K
Sat: Off
Sun: 30K
----------------
TOTAL: 70.3K
==========

The problem lies with the 30K. Going with a 7min/K pace, I will take approximately 3.5hrs to complete the session. Thus, if I intend to finish my run at 7:30am, I'll need to start my run at 4am. Working backwards, I'll need to go to bed between 9:30 to 10pm on Saturday, if I were to get 5 hours' worth of sleep.

Then there's the issue of route. Should I hit the traditional hilly Hartamas route or around my residential area? Running around my area will be easier (undulating but not as hilly as Hartamas) and allow me to avoid travelling time to and from Bukit Aman.

Finally the issue of running the 30K alone. I'm considering carrying a small MP3 player to keep me company (1 earphone only for security reasons - surrounding awareness) but I'm looking at the positive side of things. Running alone will build mental toughness.

Another option will be to break out the 30K into 2 15K to be run in the morning and evening. But I'm not sure if it will accord me the same benefits. I posted my inquiry on the Runner's World Online Forum.

Let's see what the experts reply...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home