p pol The Adventures of Carboman: RIP 2120!

Monday, March 03, 2008

RIP 2120!

After 742K of service, I'm retiring my loyal 2120 from active duty. Honorably Discharged! The soles are worn but still OK - it hasn't eaten into the midsole - but the support and cushioning are gone. I made the mistake of wearing them for a run last week and felt like I was wearing a pair of clogs. It certainly wasn't love at first wear for me and it took about 70K for me to break them in. I'm a lightweight you see, so it takes a bit longer to break in new shoes. Same for the current pair of Kayano.



Do I need new rubbers? Yes! But since I'm already at the tail-end of the KLIM training, I'll put on hold any purchases and wait for the next round of mid-year discounts. I don't buy shoes that are on less than 30% discounts. Meanwhile I'll rely on my Kayano and Elite for rotation. In the event both pairs are wet from a wet run, I'll have to bring out the still serviceable Supernova and Axiom.



I'm eyeing the Cumulus 9, Nimbus 9, 2130 or Kayano 13. All asics of course! It's gonna be difficult choosing one from these 4 models!

Cumulus 9

Nimbus 9

GT-2130

Kayano 13

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • I'll go for the 2130. Like the style ;) And they're reasonably priced too.

    By Blogger Kevin Siah, at 10:17 AM  

  • What do 2130s go for in KL ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 PM  

  • kev: good choice

    anon: not in MY market yet. Kev is in AU

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 9:21 PM  

  • Kayano 14s are out in MY. Apparently lighter than 13s. They look much cooler too. They've got the blue or red scheme in MY but gold/silver scheme in SG.

    Friend bought one a week ago. 10% disc bringing it to RM540 or RM560. Friend's brother bought the gold/silver fr SG. SGD198.

    don't be surprised if the Nimbus, though a "lower" model is the more comfortable running shoe for you.

    I'm using Nimbus VII, wife just got a Cumulus (IX?). For some reason, she found it more comfortable than the Kayano 14.

    Glad to see Asics fans. I'm a convert from Nike Air Maxes =D haha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

  • Anon:
    After this pair of K12, I'm gonna lay off the K series for now. The K13 are reportedly stiffer than the 12. And since I never buy shoes without significant discounts, the K14 is out for me. Will try out the 2130 when it hits town. Hopefully it's a little softer as reported in the forums than the 2120.

    I agree on the Nimbus and Cumulus bit. Have tried on both at the stores and both are very comfortable. Just a question of stability which I need a little. I think the Nimbus is a bit more stable than the Cumulus and is in my shortlist if I can get a great discount.

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home