p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Are Human Beings Beyond Redemption?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Are Human Beings Beyond Redemption?

This isn't a theological posting. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a pious person nor claim to be lofty enough nor understand the issues of the world. There are going to be lots more questions asked and there won't be any answers. I was reading the newspaper over breakfast and was "assaulted" with so many sad and disturbing news.

It's either some unethical politicians, some "oversight" by some authorities, some knee-jerk reaction towards current issues plaguing the country, natural disasters (like the coal mine cave-ins in the US and China, and the fires that are consuming Greece), villagers in Papua New Guinea who buried AIDS sufferers alive, global warming, the death of an abused toddler, the continuing ravage of Africa, murders, assassinations...

The world we're living in today is pretty messed up. What kind of world will my kids grow up in? Will they be resourceful and tough enough to survive? Will they get opportunities to be the best they can be? Will they be safe? Will there be greater responsibility practiced towards fellow human beings and the environment we live in? We're not going to be around for long in this world but our children's lives have just started. Whatever we plan on doing to rectify the situation, we had better start doing now. Be it be more environmentally conscious, educating our children to be forthright, honest, unswayed, or simply be kinder and patient towards fellow human beings.

At that point I suddenly felt like going home and hug my kids.

I think it was Thoreau who said something like (can't remember the exact phrase) "Stubborn people don't want to be told to change because they want to see. Let them see!"

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

I'm not a smart person but the message seems to be, it's up to us to turn things around. We have to be Agents of Change. And I'm assuming that's the message, as I've said I don't have answers.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home