p pol The Adventures of Carboman: The 205

Thursday, August 23, 2007

The 205



I was a little late getting to the park this evening. Was supposed to have left at 5:20pm but somehow by the time I was changed, it was close to 6pm. I fired up the 205 anxiously as I walked to the usual starting point next to the mosque. Within a minute, the 205 acquired a total of 8 satellites and I was ready to go. Hold on!

Before that, a last minute check on the settings. I've set the autolapping by every K, adopted the 4 panel display, set the pace alerts. Everything was in order and off I went. It was an easy pace and I greeted Rohaizad just after the bridge. The first lap was spent scrutinizing the display just to check on the functions. Amongst those were the satellite signal strength (which was good), the return to start (amazing directional assistance especially in unfamiliar routes), toggling the 2 pages of display, verifying the lap distance (accurate to 0.02m!) etc... I almost forgot that I was running.

Then I just got back to focusing on enjoying my run for the 2nd lap. The autolapping function was excellent without me having to press the lap button. All in all, it was a great run although it was cut short by a sudden thunderstorm. Rohaizad and I sought shelter and chatted a bit. I could've gone 10K today if not for the weather. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. Below is the map overlay of my run at the KLCC Park.


Below is the SportsTracks screen cap. I think SportsTracks is one of the best GPS logger out there.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Wow, the Sports Track software is quite impressive esp. the integration with Goggle Earth.

    By Blogger krunner, at 12:42 PM  

  • Man..

    Just checkin' out the Forerunner 50.. looks like something I could also use, man!

    I wonder if the softwares for them are Mac compatible..

    By Blogger Julian, at 11:28 AM  

  • Krunner: Yup, my jaw dropped when i played around with it.

    Julian: Yes, the bundled Training Center software is Mac compatible. But not Sportstrack.

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 5:39 PM  

  • Hi Carboman,
    The SportTracks only accept .hst and .gpx data import format.
    However, the Garmin Trainer Center ver3.2.2 only export and save in .tcx format.
    How do i convert the .tcx to the data format acceppted by SportTracks.
    Thanks for sharing, I am not aware of this SportTracks software all this while. Cool software!
    Regards,
    KY Chow

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM  

  • oh man!!

    You guys are killin' me...

    The last thing I need is the temptation to get another cool toy.. arrggghhh...

    I want.........

    ......

    By Blogger Julian, at 11:08 AM  

  • Chow: I'm not sure about your question though. Still learning. Perhaps you can post it to the Garmin support. http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support

    Julian: This thing is very high in the Geek index! I hope to make use of its Virtual Partner function on my next run.

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home