p pol The Adventures of Carboman: PBM Packing List: My War Chest

Thursday, June 14, 2007

PBM Packing List: My War Chest

It's 10 more days to the Race! Besides the usual garments, racing gear and toiletries, the following are some stuff which will be going into and on top of my Deuter pack.
1. Sleeping bag, as there will be additional persons bunking in with us
2. BodyGlide stick
3. Cytomax, Powerbars, Powergels and GU for before, during, after fueling
4. Endurox and Recovery mix
5. Safety pins
6. Medikit with paracetamols, antihistamines, plasters, diarrhea medicines, so that any discomfort can be dealt with on the spot
7. Sunglasses
8. Sandals
9. Pace band because I don't want to waste resources figuring out/remembering my target pace
10. Water bottle
11. Spare socks
Race gear
1. Nike Pegasus 2005
2. asics Kayano socks
3. Nike Sphere Dry vest
4. Brooks shorts
5. Timex Sleek 50 watch
I've been replaying the race over and over in my head and each time, the shiver of excitement runs down my spine. The excitement has nothing to do with my race expectations. Far from it because I'm quite oblivious to that part of the race. Also because you can only prepare so much.
You see, every marathon is different. Notwithstanding all the long runs you've hammered out, you're still going to be covering a lot of distance. It's a darn long run and with that kind of distance, the window for baaaad things to happen are wide open. Even if you felt good the first 10K, your stomach can still execute a cement mixer move at the 11th K. Your legs can also decide to quit moving at the 23rd K. Or something as simple as a tight shoulder, or a rogue pebble in your shoe, can make you lose focus.
So what am I excited about? I'm excited at the uncertainty of the race! I'm excited at packing for it! I'm excited about meeting my friends and travelling up where I'm going to be meeting more friends! I'm excited to hear the starting gun! I'm excited because I'm about to earn my reward following months of hard work! I'm excited that in our midst, there are new marathoners-to-be embarking on their journey of self-discovery! I'm excited to be running this race for the late Terence! I'm excited that after so many years, I'll be running my first home state marathon, and at a time when I'm at my fittest!
There are lots to be excited about...

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Gosh your excitement really rubs on!I'm not running and yet I feel so excited too about you all.
    RWM is so kind to let me keep watch over the bridge with this link:-
    http://www.penangbridge.blogspot.com/

    Yes its D-10 and counting down........





    -H2O
    Paris

    By Blogger CP Waterman, at 1:10 PM  

  • Mr. Carboman- I would suggest you bring along an extra pair of running shoes too. You never know!

    By Blogger pm19, at 2:00 PM  

  • Good Luck man jamie!
    Am sure u will post a new PB with all your tough sacrificial training regimes.

    By Blogger Raymond, at 3:20 PM  

  • Yo man! Let's rock Phuket and Penang Islands kau kau lat!!!!

    By Blogger John, at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home