p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Entering Unchartered Waters

Monday, November 06, 2006

Entering Unchartered Waters

In a couple of weeks time, I shall be lacing up my shoes for a very different sort of event - for me that is. I'm a naturally fast walker when I head outdoors. My colleagues have a hard time keeping up with me as I shuffle to the nearest eatery at lunch time. I find slowing down when walking with my family an art to be mastered. The only time when I found walking slow a necessity was after a marathon or during my dating days.
 
So come end of this month, I will not only be experiencing race walking, a decidedly different exercise than heading out to grab a bite, but staying on my feet for the most parts of 12 hours. Yup, it's the Penang International 12-Hour Walk. I've not decided on which gear to pack and wear but bringing along spares are definitely a good idea. That includes a spare technical shirt, socks, my Teva sandal once the shoe gets too warm, the tube of BodyGlide lubricant and my carb-protein drink powder for refuelling. Light shoes or fully cushioned ones? Thickly padded Thorlos or thin Nike Dri-FITs? Ultra events are to be approached slightly differently and over the next 2 weeks, I will have to sort these decisions out.
 
I'll be entering another unchartered territory in a couple of months. But that's a story for another day.

1 Comments:

  • Don't forget der raincoat. Or if you fancy, an umbrella....Sediakan payung sebelum hujan. Bring some plasters as well. Bleeding nipples is not a pretty sight.

    By Blogger RunWitMe, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home