p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Back To Work

Friday, August 19, 2005

Back To Work

After 4 days of eating crud at the training center, I miss the Pelita roti telur. I was looking forward to the usual relaxed atmosphere at the eatery but was I in for a shock when I found the whole place crawling with MCA delegates. This has something to do with the Annual General Assembly where the top dogs seek re-election. The waiters and regular customers who usually enjoy a relaxing morning there seemed highly stressed. Looking from the angle of running, the waiters were into their tempo workout - scampering here and there. Fortunately they were well trained and service was quick and polite all the way. Garbed in their yellow tops (the women) and the all-white dress code of the men, they occupied 90% of the seating space of the restaurant, wolfing down liters of teh tarik and plates of roti canai and fried noodles.

While waiting for my food to be served, I cast my observation around. I saw that nearly all the delegates bore similar appearances. The following were what I saw:
- 95% of them (regardless of gender) are aged 40 years and above with probably 50% of those over 55
- Many men wore the trademark jade rings and Rolexes (fare or otherwise). Most are potbellied and are smokers
- Besides the usual political banter about who will be voted in or out, I noticed that there were quite a few elderly women. And I mean elderly. I wonder how they can serve? Worse, are they taking the party as a get-together old folks club?
- Shoes make a man. To know a person, just look at the shoes. It's true. No matter how immaculate (or how white, in this case) they're dressed, one look at the shoes will tell you whether they're slobs. Sad to say that this category were aplenty at Pelita this morning.

I will leave all these thoughts as they are as politics are not my cup of tea.

3 Comments:

  • Sharp observations!
    Plenty of towkays now in MCA whereas for Umno, there are the Contractors. Bet they will be the same - pot belly, rolex watches but wearing baju melayu at least during the annual UMNO assembly.

    By Blogger krunner, at 12:02 PM  

  • Hahaha! I like this comment of an old-folk club!

    By Blogger John, at 1:48 PM  

  • *cringe*

    Imagine old men with running vests and shoes, mostly lean and fit-looking hanging out... much more pleasant thought...

    By Blogger Julian, at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home