p pol The Adventures of Carboman: 4-2; 30K Sunday

Sunday, April 29, 2007

4-2; 30K Sunday

Carbowoman reminded me when my alarm went off this morning that it was raining outside. I replied "Yup" and headed to freshen myself up and get into my running gear. A few minutes later, I was downstairs packing 2 slices of peanut butter bread for post-run replenishment. I also brought along 2 empty bottles from the Nike hydration belt to be filled up with Gatorade at the 10K mark. I then grabbed my ClimaFIT jacket and cap and also the Illuminite cap in case I change my mind about wearing the 'warmish" ClimaFIT cap.

While exchanging SMSes with Geraldine, Wong and Tey about the status of the downpour in KL, I checked the Internet on the MU vs Everton results and was pleasantly surprised that the Devils came back from the brink of defeat to snatch victory yet again! Talking about determination to win and triumphing against adversity. The 3 of us had our own battle with the rain as well - even before we start.

To cut to the chase, Geraldine replied that the rain has indeed eased up and that was all the reason I needed. Reached the car park and promptly changed into the 2120 and decided to wear the Illuminite cap instead. It was still drizzling heavily but the time is already 5:35am and we shouldn't wait any longer. Just before we started Tey arrive on his bike carrying an umbrella! He took a couple of shots and we set off into the cold dark morning. Another event, the Malay Mail Big Walk, was scheduled to start at 7am. A quick calculation told me that we will be running into them on our return to the car park. Tey took a few more near The Tijani luxury condos before making his way to shoot the walkers.


The pace which the 3 of us were decent and steady. We took turns leading the pack. I had no problems going up the hills and reached Hartamas (10K) in 58:03. Filled up the bottles with Gatorade and started the journey back to the IRB office before the body gets a chance to cool down. Then we made the U-turn back to Hartamas and the pace was about a minute plus quicker - reached the station (20K) in 1:44.32. I thought a can of Red Bull would be a good idea so that was what I filled up into one of the empty bottle.

The final 10K was with Geraldine as Wong had to make a stop to plaster up his foot blister. We ran into the top walkers near the 23K mark and merged into the main group of leisure walkers after the IRB office. The problems of human congestion didn't surface until just after Tijani when I had to zig-zag between the strollers and a police patrolcar.


Geraldine had slowed down, so I was pretty much on my own - even though I was surrounded by walkers young and old. Since I was already on course for a sub 3-hour finish, I took the foot of the gas and just coasted back to the car park. While chatting with Lawrence, Geraldine came back, looking pretty satisfied too - we had a great run today.

Back home I downed Endurox and washed down the sandwiches with a cup of coffee. My legs are feeling fine but the tightness will probably come tomorrow (which is a rest day for me, but I may just do a bit of weights). I now have a rough gauge of my present condition and will know where to work on.

33:32 (Duta) > 24:30 (Hartamas) > 22:46 (Inland Revenue) > 23:43 (Hartamas) > 24:45 (Inland Revenue) > 29:46 (Bkt Aman). Total: 2:39.05, pace 5:18 per Buckeyeoutdoors.com computation. The actual distance is actually slightly less than 30K. That's why I want the Forerunner 205! No longer running a vague distance or doubting your timing.

Note: Thanks to Tey for all the great photos!




Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Wow!Felicitation! Bravo!
    With still 8 more weeks to go, I think sub3hr45 will be in your pocket soon.Stay away from weights tomorrow your body deserves a good rest and focus on getting in a quality tempo in the week, this will help you to hold sub 5min20 pace for sub3hr45.
    Again a smashing job well done! Congrats!!!

    By Blogger CP Waterman, at 4:06 PM  

  • BTW, what do you think about this -
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/polar_rs800sd.html

    By Blogger CP Waterman, at 4:10 PM  

  • Aiya...miss u return way foto,count the timing...think is clash with Kevin Chow timing..hehe..if not..sure more sue photos,morning cause flash problem,can't use continous shot...!!

    Salute u timing,sure can sub 4,3:45 hmmm,slowly slowly improve better..haha..!!

    Well done..same as Geraldine and also Wong TM..when WTM told me u two came back early,surprise me !!

    By Blogger Keipo, at 5:12 PM  

  • Wah! Course très fantastique

    1) where to buy the Illuminite cap?

    By Blogger VetRunner, at 6:38 PM  

  • Thanks everyone. I'm happy but not getting carried away.

    H2O: On the contrary I think its too early to predict race time. Too many factors and a lot of things can happen in the next 12k. I've decided to skip the weights tomorrow and make sure I eat a lot. Hmmm... 8 weeks minus 2 for tapering means I've 6 weeks left of hard work. I'd like to maintain at 5:38 pace instead of running too fast and suffer the last 12k.
    Becoz I dont quite fancy the footpod and the HRM, the 205 cinya appealing. My concern besides the price is whether the mapping can be done in MY. as google maps are not present in MY. Strange but the maps for SG are available.

    Tey: No worries la... Glad to see you this morn despite the rain. Cinya kam tung..

    Vet: DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW HOW HARD YOU'VE BEEN TRAINING! I bought the cap 2 years ago @ the SG Mara expo for RM50+. As you can see from the photos, the entire middle section is reflective. But best thing is that in daylight, it doesnt seem reflective.

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 9:35 PM  

  • That is a very impressive time. You are hitting the peak at the right time

    By Blogger krunner, at 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home