p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Of Movies, Running and The Pregnancy

Monday, July 17, 2006

Of Movies, Running and The Pregnancy

Been catching up on quite a few movies of late, many of them political-conspiracy theory themed.
 
- Constant Gardener (testing of drugs on 3rd world countries)
- Syriana (oil politics and how it ties with the issues of terrorism)
- Lord of War (explores the world of illegal arms dealing)
 
Though such dramas are heavy and pretty depressing in nature, they're gripping in most parts. Hollywood aside (they claim that the 3 films are based on real stories), I believe the astounding issues tackled are real. And sadly the events in the 3 take place in Africa and the Middle East. There's no end in sight to the world's problems.
 
To maintain some sanity, I had to balance the above by watching some pretty ridiculous shows such as the first 3 installments of the utterly inane and stupid Scary Movie. Also loaded into the DVD player is the Season 3 of Spongebob Squarepants (I enjoyed Season 2 the most) and the Season 1 of The Unit. I was a little apprehensive about The Unit but it proved me wrong. Created by David Mamet, it packs enough action scenes and sub-plots to keep me interested. Based on the book "Inside Delta Force" by ex-Delta operator Eric Haney, the viewer learns the challenges of what the operators and their families go through every day. Having some hot-looking women as cast helps too. I'm looking forward to Season 2.
 
On the running scene, I learnt that I'm no longer the morning person that I was. I've been finding it increasingly difficult to tear myself from the bed every morning. I don't believe it's due to tiredness, though I tend to feel it more than ever these days. I put it down to low motivation to run. As such I'm just going to let it wash over as there's no use to fight it. Motivation can't be forced. When the drive was there, tiredness is of no consequence. Rain or shine, night or day, I have no problems fulfilling my requisite runs. I've registered for the Penang Bridge Run, the Putrajaya Half as well as the Mizuno 10K. Unless something urgent comes up, I will not skip these events. I've already revised my expectations and will not be disappointed with whatever times I run (note: I'm not using the word "race"). Besides, it'll be a good opportunity to catch up with the guys.
 
We recently had our second visit to the gynae and received that results of the earlier anomaly had proven negative. The development of Carbo Kid 2 is also according to schedule even if he or she seems to be a little tall. The doc and us could see that the fella/fellete (Is there such a word?! No? Then I claim to be the inventor!) is pretty active, kicking up a workout in the womb - building an endurance base perchance?

6 Comments:

  • i like how u see it; Motivation can't be forced. i can't agree more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 AM  

  • I loved the movie Lord of War. Cage is superb in potraying Yuri and look at the way he struggles with his concience, he played them beautifully. But the story is really like what you said, depressing. I could not even sense a hint of a morally 'correct' person in this movie. It's all about the business of killing where they sell guns by 'kilos'. There was also a scene where he commented 'there is one firearm for every 12 person in this world. So how are we going to arm the other 11?' I mean, this sentence really shocked me.

    By Blogger Boon Haw, at 9:14 AM  

  • ajeep: ya lor... the more u force the more disappointment. Just roll with the punches and go with the flow

    mizuno rnr: and then when good sense prevails, you get killed like his brother. very sad. the fact that it's happening and controlled by the powers that be and most of us are ignorant victims make it even more tragic. In actual fact, this is not only happening in the arms trade but everywhere. Just look at the local business community, the developers who continuously destroy nature, wanton development, the loggers, the politicians that are being fed $$ - all at the expense of the majority of the people. 1 word - EXPLOITATION. Cinya cham.

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 12:35 PM  

  • heyy! i cant believe u watch spongebob squarepants...

    *sings* who lives in a pineapple under the sea?!

    By Blogger galnexdor, at 11:41 PM  

  • ... spongebob squarepants!!!

    can't resist to continue singing that song. hahahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

  • i love patrick!

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home