p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Bosses Suck & Some Irrelevant Thoughts

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Bosses Suck & Some Irrelevant Thoughts

Let's tackle the thoughts first:

I've harboured this nagging question for years: How the heck did the construction crane rise with the building it's constructing? Take a look at it the next time you spot one. The cranes that I'm talking about here are those that sticks out from the centre of the building (usually out of the lift shaft) and transports materiel from the base to the level/floor that's being worked on. It's damn precarious and if you look closely it sways as it rotates carrying the loads. The operator sits in a small cabin attached precariously on the side and can navigate the equipment even without line of sight and purely by radio com. They're that skilled. Have you ever wondered as the building rises over the months of construction how does the crane rise along with it? How do they add the steel "rungs" to it? How do they take them down when it reaches a dizzying height of 80 storeys for example? If you know the answer, please email me!

Now on the bosses:

They seem to take pleasure in heaping misery on their staff. Mine just told me not to hope for anything (ie promotion) next year as the recipients have already been earmarked. He also said that he can't see any significant project that I've contributed this year that is known all over the bank. The phrase "known all over the bank" is subjective but in my place of work, it means one has not trumpeted the accolades enough. The worst comment he made was "If you can run a marathon, I don't see why you can't deliver greater things in 2006". An answer immediately came up on my mind but I bit my tongue and just shook my head. The fact of the matter is running and working while sharing some traits (in that we torture ourselves to no end) are different. The difference? PASSION. What sets a great job apart from an average one is the level of passion the executor put in. I've great passion for running and all that it stands for and I'll gladly do anything associated with it - from volunteering, training and racing, teaching and spreading the running movement and more. I'd run 7 days a week if there's no such thing as a rest day. And being a smoker and non-exerciser, who is he to comment about running? What does he know about training and running a marathon?
I got over being upset the moment I stepped out of the office but I can't help but question my passion for my work. It's diminished. It's not that I don't care for it anymore but I just don't have the desire to go the extra mile. Just do what needs to be done and get out of the office.

Indeed greater things beckon in 2006 and I hope a greater percentage of the success will not be office-work related.
 
 

7 Comments:

  • Your boss said those things to you?
    Shit***. My boss is quite different. He sometimes introduces me as a marathon runner although I have yet to run one.

    By Blogger krunner, at 9:49 PM  

  • cheer up, prove it to ur boss that he is wrong......

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 9:17 AM  

  • FUCK the Boss!!!

    He is demoralizing his own staff which runners don't do to each others.

    By Blogger John, at 12:18 PM  

  • These bosses are like weeds that impede growth. Like what John said, FUCK EM!
    NUFF SAID!

    By Blogger cyk0sis, at 5:06 PM  

  • Sorry to hear about your less-than-couth comment from your boss. It's definitely not called for. In fact, I think it's pretty rude, and insensitive, which is most likely the case.

    However, your thoughts about work and passion ring true, and I believe, for everybody as well. Especially if you take some extra pride in your work. I don't know if it's plausible for you to take time-out from your present work, but I think it might help in that department. It might help you re-think work priorities and stuff, you reckon?

    Heck, who knows, you might end up thinking, shit, this company doesn't realise your worth... maybe it's time to move on to another place where they'll recognize it, and possibly get paid better for it too.

    Passion for work gets diminished because you have to see it everyday, and yeah, it'll happen, I think. There are days I even want to take a break from playing or music (and music used to be my interest and hobby, but now a career). I love music with a passion, but my approach to it now has changed, I noticed. Because it's work, sometimes I desire a break from it, and I find that it does help me keep my interest and passion for it.

    Who knows, you might just need a change in environment?

    You reckon?

    By Blogger Julian, at 5:58 PM  

  • Thanks guys for the backing. I've actually gotten over it liao. That's how positive we runners are. Ain't it great? That said I'm still focused to leave my company in 5 years to find my calling! Hope things work out.

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 11:16 PM  

  • I agree with the part of runners being more positive! In the past months my outlook about many things have changed, and I don't get stressed out as easily as I used to over these things.

    I no longer dread waking up each morning and going to work as I used to... in fact it has become a tiny bit enjoyable despite all the traffic jams etc. Of course there is the PMs shoutbox and all the blog postings which helps get me through the day as well.. haha!

    Hang in there my friend! I am sure that this year will have many good things lining up for you even if it may not be work related.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home