p pol The Adventures of Carboman: 1st Putrajaya International 12-Hour Walk Race Report

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

1st Putrajaya International 12-Hour Walk Race Report

Participating in this year’s event wasn’t part of the plans, having done 2 in the preceding years. The clincher, however, was that the venue was moved from Penang to Putrajaya. Deciding between a 4-hour drive to my homestate and a 15-minute one is a no-brainer. I save on fuel, time and money and along with the nagging unfinished business of trying to hit 60K in 12 hours made me put my John Hancock on the form.

After a 30-minute afternoon nap, I rendezvoused with Frank and the other guys at Bandar Puteri Puchong for an early dinner of noodles and caffeine. We were running a little late as our cars pulled into the car park adjacent to the event site. There seemed to be more younger folks this year and a nice crowd of approximately 500 if the organizers were correct

Number pickup was quickly done and we each received a nicely stocked environmentally friendly goodie bag courtesy of Genting group. Putrajaya is a nice place to hold events needing ample space and the wide divider stretch between the avenues made for an ideal area for the cooking, information, control and rest locations. There were tents set up for these purposes. On one side were some camping tents erected by supporters and on the other, 6 mobile toilets.

I spotted many familiar and regular faces as I joined the gang in gearing up for the start. I made sure I lubed liberally in all the potential trouble spots, and checked that my salt packs and iPod were kept in a plastic bag inside a clip holster. On top of that I carried a Powerbar Triple Threat to munch. Weather was cool and a gentle breeze was blowing. The race director led the participants in a Birthday Song for one of the walkers before starting us off at 8pm sharp for the long long walk. I hung out with Choi and Frank right at the back as there was no hurry. First lap was covered in excess of ten and half minutes.

For the full report, please click this link.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • I thot I was having some funny problems when I realised all my finger joints were swollen. You got it too. Looks like blood is not channeling out evenly !!!!. Actually what is the cause of it??

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 3:11 PM  

  • Hi Carboman,

    I am from a media company and we are interested in getting you to do some advertorial work for us in your blog. Please drop me an email if you are interested at Mindy.Yu@groupm.com or call me at 27187883

    Thanks!

    Mindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 PM  

  • CCube: I think it's due to gravity drawing blood down to the fingers. Others also got it. The better way is to keep the elbows @ 90 degree angle to minimize. Imagine doing the 24-hour walk cinya! Then the whole body will go numb!

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 10:33 PM  

  • CCube, You think your fingers were swollen? You should try walking 24Hours and see them balllon up! LOL!

    By Blogger RunWitMe, at 11:15 PM  

  • Dear The Adventures of Carboman,

    WH Yap here, thanks for the post up on our event. Furthermore, the Race Walkers' Association of Malaysia has officially linked your blog into our website: http://racewalkermalaysia.synthasite.com/

    Anyhow, we thank you again on your support. If you have photos with you, mind to post a copy to us? we shall put into the website as well.

    WH YAP
    secretary, RWAM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

  • Saya ada beberapa video Putrajaya 12 jam di website saya:
    http://www.ultrawalking.net.

    Saya Santiago Seguí

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

  • RWM, wah like tat one arhhh. Didnt know abt tat. I thot something wrong with me liao, cinya scare.

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home