p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Winding Down A (Long) Training/Racing Cycle

Friday, May 16, 2008

Winding Down A (Long) Training/Racing Cycle


It's been a long time since I took an extended break from training, even though coming into the end of this training cycle, my running had taken a back seat to work. The euphoria of making New York lasted 3 full days and now all attention is back to work. As I'm typing this I'm also weighing my career options having been offered a job with another company. Though very important, my decision will not be based solely on the renumeration offered but also on my middle to long term plans. I'm speaking to people in the industry to get a better feel on the directions, what corporations are looking for and other career wisdom from these people. I've even spoken to both my bosses and they've provided very good feedback as well as the plans they have in store for me.

In 2 weeks' time, I'll be running my 9th marathon in Singapore (second for the year) and my plan is to run really easy with no pressure at 6:20 pace. I'm aiming to finish comfortably and enjoy the night running experience. This race will be part of my winding down training cycle. Following that I will do absolutely no running for 2 weeks, recharge, recover and just enjoy some quality time with the kids, before entering the Periodization Phase starting July. Through personal experience, 4 months is just about right for me to peak. Any longer, fatigue, staleness and boredom will set in. And realistically, 4 months of training is a luxury!

I really look forward to every of the upcoming phase. It'll be one exciting year and one heck of a ride. Won't you join me?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home