p pol The Adventures of Carboman: The Time Is Right...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Time Is Right...

...for the shoe to perform its last feat. I'm referring to my dear old Pegasus. Immortalised on the homepage of www.runnersmalaysia.com.my, I think the Pegs are nearing its active duty. The carbon rubber heel has eaten into the softer heel plug and the shoe felt a little flat on last Sunday's run. When I first got the shoes, it was certainly no Bed of Roses. It certainly felt firmer than the '04 Pegasus, but after considerable breaking in, I've had good times at the races in it, most recently a PR in the marathon. So what better way than to allow it to go out in a Blaze of Glory this Sunday! I've just got to Keep The Faith in it for one last time. Ooooh I can feel it calling out to me "Lay Your Hands On Me!".
 
This Sunday's Bridge Run marks a full circle for me. I can categorically say that my running "career" took off at the Penang Bridge Run during my early secondary school days. My Dad scoffed at me and said that I won't be able to finish. If I remembered correctly I completed it under 2:10 (not bad eh, for a debut 22.3K). I remembered running well up till just after the Prai U-turn (about 12K, I believe). Then I alternated walking and running all the way back to USM. I don't think my longest training run had exceeded 8K before that fateful day and I don't think I ran more than 3 times a week then. I had zero knowledge about running and all I had was plenty of heart and determination. Come to think of it, that was Der Spirit of Pia! See what it can do for you?
 
Fast forward to this year. I'm going to be 36 come October, nudging ever closer to the 40 mark and in a few more years' time, I'll be dedicating every K of the marathon to my 42 years! Isn't that a scary thought? This time around, I'm not at my running best and I've ran even less than I did on my debut Bridge Run. I'd be lucky to hit a weekly mileage of 5K (all done in a single day!) and my one and only long run was last Sunday's 20K. However one thing is certain. It will be an emotional outing for me, my Pegasus (Giddy-up! Yee Har!) and once again I'll call upon Der Spirit of Pia to see me through. It will be an enjoyable run.

8 Comments:

  • carboman: lez PIA together, 42k no play play for me after 15yrs of layoff. tis sunday is also a one full circle for me as my PB of 3.30 was done in my last race in the island of laksa and char koay teow. and on sunday i will step on the starting line hoping to complete the race w/o suffering. hehe wish me luck!!!

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 6:01 PM  

  • I understand how you feel. I had the same exact feeling for my Gel Cumulus as I had many great experiences running on them. I ran my first marathon on them and it certainly saw me through the toughest of all the 21Ks which I had participated. The last service that it had rendered to me was the Ipoh and Seremban Half where for such long time, I had not run below 2 hours and this shoe helped me through the tough distance. To tell you the truth, I am reluctant to throw my pair of Cumulus away. I plan to use them as a 5K training shoe so that at least, they will stay with me a little longer.

    By Blogger Boon Haw, at 6:57 PM  

  • All the best to you on your bridge run. Just relax and enjoy yourself!

    By Blogger John, at 10:06 PM  

  • thanks all!

    C-Cube: hope you will pia kau kau lat this sunday! No walking! Hehehe

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 9:41 AM  

  • yes, they are a great pair of shoes although I'm slightly surprised that its durability is not the same as the older models. Case in point- I'm still running in the Pegs that were bought for me by the PMs last year. As you know my favourites, being the Zoom Milers are finally going into retirement as well. I'll be on the lookout for similarly-constructed shoes.

    By Blogger pm19, at 12:17 PM  

  • shoe does bring back memories,
    i had a soucony shoe i love very much,i run with for 3-4 years, until now i still keep it,too bad the cushion ran out before i had my 1st half marathon. i try to find soucony shoe in kl but no luck...
    all the best for u in penang,
    see ya there!
    fook

    By Blogger fook, at 2:47 PM  

  • Thanks for your last nite help,I may use NP 06 model.MWR 8 may use in Putrajaya.

    All der bes to your in half marathon pia..sure can lah..don worry...sub2 !!

    By Blogger Keipo, at 2:47 PM  

  • GOOD LUCK CARBOMAN IN PENANG!!!!

    PIAAAA!!!!

    By Blogger Julian, at 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home