p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Runner, Father, Husband (In No Order) And Now, Plumber

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Runner, Father, Husband (In No Order) And Now, Plumber

One of the WCs broke down yesterday causing cistern water to trickle down directly into the bowl. This is the 3rd case I've encountered with the American Standards WCs. These water saving type of WCs are difficult to open as well and their insides are pretty flimsy. One of the components which acted as a counterweight to the float (which was secured by a rubber band!) has apparently dropped off. Not knowing where to fix it, I ran to and fro from the other toilet to check the configuration. After sweating it out for 20 minutes tuning the water cutoff, I managed to rectify the problem. If you've got the dough, changing the WCs should be one of the to-dos when moving into a new house.

Since I'm on the issue of house fittings, I was at my uncle's place at Bandar Utama last week. He moved from his Sierramas home to this 3-storey link house at the insistence of his sons who complained that the gated community was difficult to access and get out from. I've to say that my uncle is pretty good at home decor and is quite a knowledgeable gardener, fengshui and koi enthusiast himself, all self taught. After observing his decor, I can definitely say that windows and doors, one of the most overlooked components of renovation works, add charm and character to a home. They're not cheap at all. Each door can cost between RM500 to RM1,000 (not sure if price includes the door frames, but logically it should) and I don't favour those with glass panellings, preferring solid timber types. Windows too can cost in the same price region depending on size and design. Personally I like the classic colonial white-washed framed windows. The white-washed look is very flexible and suits a Mediterranean, Balinese or a British colonial themed home.

4 Comments:

  • You da man! Will have to consult you if I have any plumbing problems in my apartment!

    By Blogger pm19, at 2:30 PM  

  • Der Dr title indeed comes at a price! Am expected to handle most things. It should come with Der Man title!

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 4:13 PM  

  • DR: totally agreed with you. when i moved to my new apartment few years ago, I changed all the power sockets and WCs. I do not have much problem since then..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:28 PM  

  • chinpg: when u changed the WCs, any need to redo the plumbing?
    becoz the WCs maybe of different size and configuration. maybe they need to patch the plumbing connection with the WC unit?

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home