p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Cold-Storaged

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cold-Storaged

In the past few months I’ve donated several pairs of shoes to charities. Here are some of them including the total mileage logged in them.

Brooks Axiom 2 - 267K
Not a particularly favourite shoe and retired after spending long periods in the shoe cabinet. The mileage logged in it was way below the expected 600K. Durability was average. I bought it in anticipation of a sponsored entry to run the NYC Marathon is 2007. But as we all know the trip didn’t happen. Yes, I went on my own accord in 2008.

Asics Gel Kayano 12 – 573K
Now this is what I call a good shoe. Purchased at 50% off, this pair saw me returning briefly to asics. Comfortable and plush as a stability trainer it wasn’t light – around 12+ ounces. But I logged some great miles in them. Will be missed.

Nike Vomero 2 – 490K
Didn’t last as long as it should but what a plush model this was. Perhaps the softest shoe I’ve ever worn, I rotated between this pair and the Structure Triax 11 during the early stages of my NYCM training. It was overshadowed by the cushion/stability blend offered by the Lunars and served mostly as a backup pair. In recent months, it developed an irritating squeak which came from the torn heel plug. Handsome and comfortable shoe and will be missed too.

Nike Zoom Elite 3 – 520K
Very durable lightweight stability model. But at 10oz it just barely made it into the performance trainer category. Had some very good times in them and broke a few PRs too. It’s still in a very decent shape but I’m now eager to break into the Elite 4, so this pair has to go. It could’ve been made even better if there were less overlays and wider in the forefoot.

The following are relegated to walking/casual wear duties:
Zoom Victory - too firm and stiff in the heel.
Zoom Start – soft enough for a short run but not stable enough for me.

Still active:
Asics Tri-Foster (which I’ve strangely been wearing for spinning!), Saucony Trigon Guide 5, Nike Lunaracer, Nike LunarTrainer (to be used for shorter runs since it’s approaching the end of its lifespan), Nike Structure Triax 11 (which I need to trash more). Both the LunarGlide and Elite 4 are waiting on the wings.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home