p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Courtesy Should Be Displayed On The Part Of The Giver As Well As The Receiver

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Courtesy Should Be Displayed On The Part Of The Giver As Well As The Receiver

Why is it that I've got grouses each time I take the LRT to work? I think it's because in the rail we're totally exposed for a duration of time. For an excrutiating period in the train - yes, it moves slower than the rail transit of our southern neighbour - we're just standing there glancing around uncomfortably or for some toying with their mobiles. Some take the easy (or denial?) approach by keeping their eyes shut. So for that period, we're being observed and scrutinized. See that? That person just yawned. Or yucks! Did the fella just dig his nose? This lady certainly has too much time SMSing away on her mobile. You get the drift?

For me, I don't like taking the train primarily because I get nauseated by the sideway movement within the constrained space. Anyway in the context of this posting, I got up just after 1 stop to give my seat to a pregnant lady. I quickly threw the Dean Karnazes book I was reading back into my tote bag and said "Here you go", pointing to my seat. Without a nod or acknowledgment, she plunked herself down and behaved as if nothing happened. Let me state that I'm not hard up for a "thank you" but I think the courtesy campaign should also be directed to recipients of such good acts as well. It's always polite to say "Thank you" or at least a smile or a nod. Regardless of your physical or mental ability, it's not your God-given right to have everything handed to you on a silver platter. If indeed you're extended a good deed or favour, at least show some gratitude. I'm not sure if it's a hormonal thing or she was simply having a bad day but I've been taught to be polite and gracious regardless of your condition. It's an upbringing thing. Besides it doesn't cost one 100 calories to smile or mutter the words.

It's the same thing for holding the lift for someone but get no "Thank you" in return but I'd be accused of being an uptight person. I need to run this evening! Thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

  • Welcome to malaysia.

    Experienced that a lot. sometimes makes you wonder WHY we should be courteous to them? But at the end of the day, we always keep our foot on the ground.. like you said, good upbringing. Always got higher calling one...

    Oh yeah, Malaysian public transport SUX!! If I can, I will AVOID taking LRT... real pain also.

    In Singapore, I will always try to take MRT more! ahaha.. so easy there.

    By Blogger Julian, at 12:31 PM  

  • I'm sorry. It's not the 1st time, and certainly won't be the last. Malaysians are generally a rude bunch. One thing that really struck me after my return from my studies in the UK was how rude Malaysians are, everywhere- on the roads, when you give up a seat for them, when you hold the doors, etc. I've more or less given up. Which is sad when you think about it, really. We're not necessarily looking for a "thank you", but merely a simple acknowledgement, some basic courtesy, which we usually won't get here. Have a good run. Rain's a-coming, but who cares, right? Ain't a factor...

    By Blogger pm19, at 4:41 PM  

  • carboman,

    i may not know u, but i am totally agreeable to all the comments. Malaysian in general are a bunch of rude ppl and very inconsiderate. just look at all the motorist on the road. to them its their rights to squeeze along the narrow path between cars when there is a traffic jam. is their rights to knock on the side mirror of your car. when that happened, they dont even say sorry to you.

    note: but there are still some good upbringing ones.

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 10:31 AM  

  • one time, i gave my seat to an old lady. and there was this one fella who quickly landed his arse on that seat.. jahat!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home