p pol The Adventures of Carboman: Dead In The Water

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dead In The Water

My Thinkpad T61's network card busted this morning. Having no network connection meant no incoming/outgoing mails, Netmeeting capabilities, Internet, etc... As frustrating as it was, I somehow found it liberating - no emails! But you just can't stop work, so I walked around and had some colleagues send out a couple of urgent communications on my behalf. Hopefully the IBM engineers will be over tomorrow morning with the replacement.

I finished listening to Russell Watson's latest album "People Get Ready" and would like to recommend this album to anyone out there who loves vocals. It took me two listenings to realized what an amazing piece of work this album is. One thing I like about RW is that he constantly reinvents himself, trying out standards across genres. And coming off 2 brain surgeries, this man is like a hero. None of the tracks in this album is poor and I especially liked his version of House Of The Rising Sun. At times sounding like a black man, he will astonish you with a turn of voice to mimic a black woman's vocals. His version of New York State of Mind is a very refreshing take on Billy Joel's classic. And to think that he used to cover Elvis' tunes in pubs when he was just starting out. Get this album, is all I'll say.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • The first thing that comes to mind when I see RW is always Runner's World. Heheh!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home