p pol The Adventures of Carboman: A Snake, A Cow and Masala Tea

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Snake, A Cow and Masala Tea

Started my run at 6:30am this morning. Everyone was already up but since it was early, I'll have some time to crank out the workout. The target was 12K which should be easy but doing it on a 2K loop with nary a flat stretch is tough. Tough on the pacing strategy, tough on the legs and tough on the lungs. So the decision was to do 2.5 laps of "The Dreaded Loop" and then head towards the flat village road. True enough the erratic pace gave way to a consistent one the moment I hit the alternative route. Suddenly I heard a plaintif moo but I thought I was hearing things. I looked around but can't find any cows. Then the moo again distracted my concentration. I'd already passed the spot so I kept going. Only on my return trip when I deviated from my run to find out the source of the sound did I discover a skinny calf at the bottom of a monsoon drain. It must've slipped past the drain railing before falling into the deep drain. There was no one around but the road has its fair share of motorcyclists, so it's a matter of time before it's discovered.

Beside the bovine episode, I also had to skip over a dead snake and ran into a bunch of cyclists on their long ride. A quick shower back home and the clan were out for breakfast. Later part of the evening, I finally had the chance to try out my hands at concocting the masala tea. The ingredients - cardamon, ginger, aniseed, cinnamon, clove, black tea - are easily available at the nearest hypermart and I went with gut feel in mixing the portions of the spices. The results came out fantastic I must say!

OK, my writing style is deserting me. Signs of tiredness. A few more days of running then will rest before doing the GE30K on Sunday. A tough race awaits.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • I have a feeling that you have finally put all the things together for a good PR this time at KLIM.
    All the best & do rest up well!

    By Blogger CP Waterman, at 1:58 AM  

  • Dr, u are really piling up the mileage in your base training. The one to watch in KLIM08. I am happy to hit 50k/week, cinya

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 10:11 AM  

  • H2O, C3: Just keeping things simple and consistent nia. If it happens well and good. But even after a couple of month's consistency, I feel sub-4 cinya difficult lah...

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 9:41 PM  

  • To do a sub4, this is what the McMillan Calculator shows:

    10k - 50:56
    20k - 1:47:23
    30k - 2:45:56
    42k - 3:59:00

    How to run this kind of pace, cinya!!!!

    By Blogger C-CUBE, at 9:52 PM  

  • C3
    Have you got the wrong input?
    My calculation for sub4 is 240 divides by 42.2 = an average pace of 5min41 woh, which is not unattainable given Carbo's current form.
    Judging from carbo's present condition I think 5min40 pace is still below his tempo zone so he can run at that pace (5:40) the whole of 42.2km.
    Having said that its sub sub water for you nia. Hehe

    By Blogger CP Waterman, at 11:44 PM  

  • wahlau, u fellas talk as if sub-4 cinya easy nia. hahaha!

    By Blogger Jamie Pang, at 10:10 PM  

  • C3 the McMillan calculator timing for 10k, 21, 30k you see is not the split timing you must run in a marathon. It's your race times in 10k, 21k, 30k and finally 42k. So what it's saying is if you can run 10k in about 50min then you have a sub 4 chance. But in the actual marathon, you don't need to be running the first 10k at that pace.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home